After Holy Thursday Mass, The Blessed Sacrament is taken in procession to a place set aside for silent adoration until midnight. Our Churches in the Valley devote much time and effort in preparing the Altar of Reposition, so that it can be a place of great beauty and dignity. Here are a few that I was able to visit on Holy Thursday night.
Immaculate Conception Cathedral
Holy Family Church in Brownsville
Good Shepherd Church in Brownsville
Saint Luke in Brownsville
Unfortunately, not all of my pictures came out so good. I need to work on the picture taking thing. As I moved around the city during the later evening, I met many people who were taking part in the traditional "Visit to the Seven Churches". This is a meaningful devotion on Holy Thursday night, as families go to visit the Blessed Sacrament in seven different churches, in order to honor the Lord, and pray for the intentions of the Holy Father.
I think that what is most beautiful about the Altars of Repose is the numbers of faithful who spend time with the Lord during the late evening. It is a way of trying to accompany the Lord as He moves from the quiet dignity of the Last Supper to his prayer in the Garden of Olives. The scene shifts, and the Church knows, the time of the Passion has begun.




No comments:
Post a Comment