Christ Physician
“Está la majestad de Dios tendida
en una dura cruz, y yo de suerte
que soy de sus dolores el más fuerte,
y de su cuerpo la mayor herida.”
-Lope de Vega
How can you make an appointment with me by
means of an illness? Are you a doctor handing out pains so that, dragged in, we
will come to you? You will tap my window, you say, and with your desperate
whispers, I will open for you. How brutal you are, I say, attracting me that
way. Crazy things move us without us knowing why; you abandon me to that, at
least that's how it seems to me. Knocked over, sweating, anxious fervor, I would
rather be healthy than to wander endlessly this way. But the healthy do not
move, isn’t that what you are wanting to say?
Well good, but no: it is risky for me, to
look for remedies while drops come out of God knows what pores or passageways
inside of me. And what if I find an ointment that calms me down but can nothing
healthy really give to me? Will I notice it, or not? What if the ointment kills
me, even as it covers what it is I suffer? Ah, a risk of making a mistake, you
tell me, is better than dying. You tell me that the dead do not move towards
you either, and that therefore you do not suffer that I should die.
You push
me to move even more, looking for you, although there are many windows that lead
to nothing but to me. Is it really a life, to live like this? Whisper to me,
then, if you are as graceful as they say, that I find the window, and with a
doctor's hand guide me to see where it is finally you would me lay. Don’t you
know, Lord, that we all lie to doctors ("all is fine, doctor, nothing
really hurts") because we fear the remedy that leads to the last day?
But you knock on my door, and it hurts, and
you ask me to ask you, and bid you come in. I see the stone that I had not
noticed before; marked with blood, or with an oily hand, I could not really tell
which, knocked down by a strength that did not come from me. Inside, I see the
tomb empty, the one you prepared to show me to me, and the entrance that leads
me to find you. And what Lord, here is where I stay? No? There is another destiny for the one who
knows how to die this day? Ah, I did not realize; you don’t live here anymore.
I see your tracks that lead away, and I continue, behind you.
+df
No comments:
Post a Comment