I met Father James Erving, OMI, when the Oblate Fathers sent
him to serve at Our Lady Star of the Sea Parish, in Port Isabel. He jumped into
that assignment with a vigor I imagine St Eugene molded into his first Oblate
companions. He was not there long; he worked like he knew he wouldn't be. But
in fact he could not have known. Pastoral discussions involving his Oblate
Superiors and the local bishop would soon result in an abrupt transfer to the
other side of the Diocese, to Our Lady of Refuge in Roma, Texas.
I remember he came to see me before the change took effect.
Humble, yes, and brutally honest with me, the kind of character God carves out of granite. A bishop cannot ask for more from any
priest. It would be a difficult move, he said. Lots of things yet to be done to
build the faith in Port Isabel, he said. I know, I said. God will provide for
Port Isabel, just as He now provides for Roma. Fiercely obedient, obediently
fierce; a Religious Community could not ask for more from a priest. Fr. Jim
said a lot more; but most of that I take to the grave.
We talked about the pro-life apostolate. I thanked him for
being willing to take it up. He had plans, but wasn't sure where to start. But
start he did; our pro-life march that year went from St Joseph the Worker, to
Sacred Heart Church, passing right through downtown McAllen on a Saturday
morning, right in front of the abortion place. The picture is from that day. I
like it because it so captures his blunt devotion to Christ and his Church. He
is not pointing at me; he points for me to see something beyond. Be assured, I got the point, though I had not yet turned my head. No
"let's stay in the sacristy and witness from here" in this man. Fierce defender of the unborn, the poor, the immigrant. Once
in a while, I thought that day, a bishop stumbles into a good decision.
He gave all he had to Roma. I worry about the kids, I told him;
they need a strong and courageous pastor. He was that. The missions need
building up; people are moving into Starr County. I didn't need to say a lot;
he understood. I did not know him long; but I think I knew him well enough to
know he would be a strong shoulder pushing in favor of God's people here in the Rio Grande Valley.
Once, at a Confirmation in Roma, we ate lasagna after the
Mass and after all the pictures. He told me about how Spanish was a struggle,
but he was getting better. The people love a priest who gives himself to them, even
if he gets the accent wrong on some words, I said. He told me about the
immigrant population. We talked a lot about that. He said more, but that too I
will keep for a later appointment.
We do not know the mind of God apart from what is shown us in
the wounded heart of Christ. But in the contemplation there, we find more than
we could have ever thought possible. His illness came quickly, relentlessly, and
took him from us fast. His suffering was
a fierce battle he waged obediently. God was all along forming a saint; that is
what He is always trying to do for us. Fr. Jim, I am sure, knew that. May we be
so generous in letting God do what He tries so desperately to do.
I hope in heaven, so did Jim. Should God grant me the grace
to let Him do in me what He must do to get me to heaven, Jim will be one I
expect to see early on, pointing, to make sure I remember to look up at the
Mystic Rose, and beyond her, to that center where is beheld the Word Eternal
proceeding in the glorified flesh of God Incarnate. Amen.
Fr. James C. Erving, OMI, 43, died peacefully on Tuesday, March
18, 2014, at 3:24am, in San Antonio, TX.
Funeral services will be held at Immaculate Conception Memorial Chapel at 285 Oblate Drive, San Antonio, Texas 78216.
Vigil/Rosary will be held on Friday, March 21, 2014 at 7:00 PM.
Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated on Saturday, March 22, 2014 at 10:00 AM. Interment will follow at the Oblate Cemetery.
In lieu of flowers, donations can sent to Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate, 327 Oblate Dr., San Antonio, TX 78216
Funeral services will be held at Immaculate Conception Memorial Chapel at 285 Oblate Drive, San Antonio, Texas 78216.
Vigil/Rosary will be held on Friday, March 21, 2014 at 7:00 PM.
Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated on Saturday, March 22, 2014 at 10:00 AM. Interment will follow at the Oblate Cemetery.
In lieu of flowers, donations can sent to Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate, 327 Oblate Dr., San Antonio, TX 78216

May father James soul rest in peace.Condolences and prayers from India. I am a Franciscan Capuchin Priest in India. At present working in a small parish of Our lady of Assumption in the Diocese of Meerut. Keep me in your prayers. God bless you all, Amen.
ReplyDeleteI knew Father Jim when he served at Holy Angel's Parish in Buffalo New York. He was a wonderful and charismatic priest. He inspired me to trust in God and work towards deepening my faith. He established the food pantry at Holy Angel's which is still going strong today. The Parish was heartbroken when he received a new assignment and we are all heartbroken now at his death. Rest in Peace Father Jim...thank you for touching all of our lives. I am sure that our Lord is well please in you and I know you are praying for us all.
ReplyDeleteI did not know Fr. Jim, but after reading your comments I feel like I do. May he rest in peace.
ReplyDeleteWe were introduced by a couple from Our Lady Star of the Sea at a McAllen Pregnancy Center Banquet. This couple had learned Natural Family Planning and was now ready to teach. Since Father Jim had just been assigned at the Parish, they were uncertain if he would support them in their NFP endeavor. Father said yes, and with this affirmation I experienced, for the first time, his faith and dedication to the people.
ReplyDeleteBefore he became ill, we had spoken about starting a NFP program at Our Lady of Refuge and the Missions. We were to continue talking… Father Jim’s love for life and the gift of fertility was undeniable.
Thank you Father Jim for you will always be a defender of life!
I am 22 years old and I met Fr. Jim in Eagle Pass Texas at the age of 14. He changed my life in various ways, that if it wasn't for his guidance and love of Christ I wouldn't be here right now. We had the privilege to be chosen to travel to Spain for World Youth Day before he was moved to Roma and Port Isabel. Father Jim saved so many souls, including mine. He was the true definition of a true leader and he loved the youth. He believed we were the future of the Church and the world. I couldn't be more thankful to have met Father Jim. He will always be a huge impact in my life. Every time I am in trouble, sad, I look up at the sky and send a prayer and right away a calm wind comes to my rescue and reassures me that he is still here, he is still watching and he is still taking care of his youth. Thank you Father Jim.
ReplyDelete