Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Catholic Youth Renovation Project

Last week, I had the great joy of driving west to the environs of Peñitas, not too far from La Joya, to a community familiarly known as Pueblo de Palmas. I went up to visit the youth and adults from Saint Paul Parish in Mission, Texas, who were working to renovate family homes in the area. I am happy to report that youth from Saint John of the Fields Parish in Mission were also participating in the project and a couple of our seminarians too. I was given a tour of various work sites, and was able to see first-hand the youth and adults working to fix walls, add new rooms, and restore household fixtures.


I was amazed and edified by the coordination of the project, and the energy and enthusiasm of the adult
volunteers and the youth.



I am grateful to the adults who prepare throughout the year for this week-long summer project. They work really hard to give the youth a genuine experience of self-giving, which is so essential to growing in Christian life and faith. And thanks to those who helped the youth to pray and meditate while involved in the work-days. And thanks also to the local businesses, and parishioneres who made sure the youth had plenty of water, and good meals during their stay. While I toured the sites, I was able to bless the homes in process of renovation, and the families also. Blessing babies is one of my favorite things to do!


I am very proud of our Catholic Youth in the Diocese of Brownsville. They are generous and looking for ways to serve the larger community. These kinds of community projects, coordinated through different parishes, and that involve adults willing to show young people how to help, give to everyone who participates a powerful experience of the three elssential elements of Catholic life: Prayer and Sacraments, an experience of living and working as a community of believers, and an experience of self-giving in the service of others.

The Lord inspires the Church to go out and serve. When we do this, we have to remember 1) it is the Lord who inivites us, and so we must reflect on his call, and his enduring presence in our midst especially in the Eucharist and in personal prayer. And 2) that it is the Church he calls. This means that we best share the abundant life the Lord calls us to when we pray and work together, as a communion of disciples. And 3) we cannot be true to the call of the Lord to the community of the Church until we make room in our lives to go out and serve, do something good for somebody else, for no other reason than it is the Lord who asks, and there is a need to which we are able to respond.

And I was even able to greet a friendly dog along the way. They say Saint Dominic had a dog that would mysteriously appear when he was on the road. Well, I'm no Saint Dominic, but I always appreciate seeing a friendly canine during my travels!


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for being such a great inspiration to our youth in the Valley!

    ReplyDelete
  2. God's creatures are the best to come upon. They always make a person feel welcomed. Such a blessing!

    ReplyDelete