Sunday, November 4, 2012

All Saints Day, Seminary Visit, and a Book

All Saints Day is one of my favorite days of the year. And it provides us with a chance to reflect on the beauty of holiness, and the call to follow the footsteps of the Lord with a real and efficacious desire. That is sort of what I preached about, anyway. Below is a link to the audio of the sermon I preached this last November 1, at the Basilica of Our Lady of San Juan del Valle, on the Solemnity of All Saints.

https://www.box.com/s/a6pwb5uhjbiy1bpi5oai

As I am still experimenting with the audio download world, please pardon if I seem a bit clumsy in the handling of the technology. I hope the link works.

+++

I had a chance to go up to Columbus, Ohio a couple of weeks ago (time passes so quickly). Our seminarians who are studying at the Pontifical College Josephinum are are doing well, and I was able to take a quick picture of the group. I think I just missed the first snow storm of the year, for which I am grateful.  



+++

I finally finished a  very fine book called "La isla de la pasión," by Laura Restrepo. It is highly to be recommended. I have always enjoyed history, particularly the history of Mexico, and this book is a lightly novelized version of a historical event that happened around the time of the Mexican Revolution in 1910. A small squad of soldiers, together with their families, were sent by the aging president of Mexico, Don Porfirio Díaz, to defend a small barren island in the Pacific Ocean called Clipperton. While on the island, the tumultuous events of the Revolution occur in Mexico and the small band of defenders is left and largely forgotten. Children are born on the Island, and life takes on a kind of routine. Yet, after hurricane and disease strike, the little band is faced with tragedy and perhaps even hallucinations. There are some moving scenes described by the author, scenes of heroism and of honor.

At one point an American ship reaches the forgotten island, and the captain offers the commanding officer of the island a passage off the island. So much has happened that Arnaud, the commander of the small Mexican force, does not know about: the pending outbreak of World War I, the successive overthrows of governments in Mexico. Informed by the American captain of these events, Arnaud must make a decision, whether to leave his post, or to stay until further orders are recieved from Mexico City. He knows well, of course, that Mexico City for the most part does not even remember that he and his family and his forces are on the island. He makes a decision. The truly heroic figure in the novel is Captain Arnaud's wife, Alicia. Her strength and courage and devotion to her family make the story a profoundly moving excursion.  Read the book to find out what happens!
¡¡¡¿¿¿



No comments:

Post a Comment